• Products
  • Download
  • Buy now
  • Support
  • Forum
  • About
www.inesoft.com :: View topic - Corrupt Payee Name Issue with Version 7.23

Corrupt Payee Name Issue with Version 7.23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.inesoft.com Forum Index -> Cash Organizer - general discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donaf

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Corrupt Payee Name Issue with Version 7.23 Reply with quote

I am having an issue where there appears to be "garbage" introduced into blank payee fields (they were blank in my 2007 Money). These are transactions such as transfers between accounts for which I did not enter a payee. Everything was fine in my last version (7.10) of Cash Organizer. However, in this new version there appears to be a glitch. I also found "phantom" payees in my Money 2007 since installing v7.23 of Cash Organizer that were made up of garbage characters that I had to delete. I believe they were introduced by Cash Organizer during the synchronization. Even though I deleted the "garbage" payees from my Money 2007, I still see garbage payee names in some of my transactions. Has anyone else experienced similar to this? Is Inesoft aware of any such issues as this where corrupted payee names are being generated?
donaf

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: I had ghe wrong version Reply with quote

When I downloaded the latest version from your website a couple of weeks ago or so and then ran the installation program it said it was version 7.25f when I was running the setup wizard. I thought somehow it was just a mistake in the version info the programmer put into the setup wizard and ignored it. I downloaded it today and now when I install it says the right version 7.23... go figure! Any explanation?
Ummagumma

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Corrupt Payee Name Issue with Version 7.23 Reply with quote

donaf wrote:
I am having an issue where there appears to be "garbage" introduced into blank payee fields (they were blank in my 2007 Money). These are transactions such as transfers between accounts for which I did not enter a payee. Everything was fine in my last version (7.10) of Cash Organizer. However, in this new version there appears to be a glitch. I also found "phantom" payees in my Money 2007 since installing v7.23 of Cash Organizer that were made up of garbage characters that I had to delete. I believe they were introduced by Cash Organizer during the synchronization. Even though I deleted the "garbage" payees from my Money 2007, I still see garbage payee names in some of my transactions. Has anyone else experienced similar to this? Is Inesoft aware of any such issues as this where corrupted payee names are being generated?

Look at this thread:

http://www.inesoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=318

This problem was reported but didn't get fixed yet. They are asking for a copy of the file having this problem, which I for instance don't feel comfortable sharing.
Wasyl
Inesoft Team

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Corrupt Payee Name Issue with Version 7.23 Reply with quote

Ummagumma wrote:
which I for instance don't feel comfortable sharing.

Nobody asks for a personal file, but if the bug can be reproduced, it's just enough to create a few transactions in new database and send the file.
angler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used this software for years and recently discovered there are many unknown payee in both Money and Cash Organizer. Having searched in the forum and knew that there are other users have this issue. I suspect it is not a rare issue and it happens to those internal account transfer without specific payee. In spite of no sample file to be offered to the Inesoft support, developer might still look into this matter to test with its own whether this really happen to Windows Money synchronization.
Ummagumma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

angler wrote:
I have used this software for years and recently discovered there are many unknown payee in both Money and Cash Organizer. Having searched in the forum and knew that there are other users have this issue. I suspect it is not a rare issue and it happens to those internal account transfer without specific payee. In spite of no sample file to be offered to the Inesoft support, developer might still look into this matter to test with its own whether this really happen to Windows Money synchronization.

And this is what I'd expect. In order to provide a sample file I'd have to stop synchronization with my current Money file, and reset a database on my PDA, once again losing all my custom reports and planned transactions (we all know how much fun that can be). I was never yet able to successfully restore synchronization after backup restore.

I believe there's enough info for developers to start tackling this problem. They shouldn't expect customers to do it. It's not something that can be done in an hour, considering subsequent need to start sync from scratch and redo all planner and custom reports.

We all know by now that the "chinese" payees in CO are caused by transactions in which there's no payee in Money file. A lot of these come from cash portion of investment accounts (which CO pre-selects for sync, by default). Whenever you buy stock or reinvest dividend & enter it in MS Money, this transaction appears both in investment and in cash register views, and the entry form (in investment view) doesn't even have a "Payee" field. So to avoid this you have enter it first in investment view (where money expects it to be entered) and then switch to cash view, open this transaction again, and add a payee to it. This is not very practical, especially if you have years of past transactions that would also need to be modified.

Another solution would be to stop syncing cash portion of investment accounts altogether.

Both are half-arsed solutions, we shouldn't be having that problem months after it's been reported. Period. There're hundreds of those pesky "chinese" running amok in my file now, slowing the heck out of it on startup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.inesoft.com Forum Index -> Cash Organizer - general discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: