• Products
  • Download
  • Buy now
  • Support
  • Forum
  • About
www.inesoft.com :: View topic - Adress Book and Storage

Adress Book and Storage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.inesoft.com Forum Index -> Inesoft Phone - general discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rangali

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Adress Book and Storage Reply with quote

Hi,

I was trying Adress Book, and I really got excited. Very useful product, well designed and pretty quick.

The only problem I've encountered:

Adress Book's taking too much storage space! For business reasons, I'm having some 1.500 contacts on my PDA, and just after re-indexing, I'm having more than 2 MB in root\temp from files called

pim_index1.dat
pim_index2.dat
PIMAgent.txt

Unfortunately those files are sitting in root\temp, where other progs are dumping their junk as well. So, after running Space Reclaimer (or similar progs), root\temp will always be purged, and Adress Book needs to re-index again.

According to me you should allow users, to store those temp files on their SD card (as it works for AvantGo or temp Internet files).

See, we're having our PIM data stored already in databases, then we're getting another dupe in root\temp and on top of that, Adress Book takes valuable memory for keeping those PIM data "in mind".

On my unit, the difference from running Adress Book and from NOT running Adress Book would be > 6 MB. And that's simply unacceptable.

I'm running an iPAQ 4150 (WM 2003, german OS).

Any suggestions?

Best regards, Rangali
Wasyl
Inesoft Team

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Adress Book and Storage Reply with quote

Rangali wrote:
I'm having some 1.500 contacts on my PDA, and just after re-indexing, I'm having more than 2 MB in root\temp from files called

pim_index1.dat
pim_index2.dat
PIMAgent.txt

I don't think that 2 Mb is too high price for convenient and fast search system. Remember that Inesoft Address Book does not show an endless list of contact names starting with A, B, C... like in standard Contacts, but gives you exact results and performs a search in all fields including Notes.
Rangali wrote:
On my unit, the difference from running Adress Book and from NOT running Adress Book would be > 6 MB. And that's simply unacceptable.

So you have to take a decision what's acceptable for you: make megabytes you already paid for working for you (it's not easy to find a needed item in 1.500 item database fast) or worry about is your device feelling good with its FREE memory.

P.S. PIMAgent.txt isn't Inesoft Address Book's file.
Rangali

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Wasyl,

thanks for your quick reply.

Unfortunately, it's not just a decision between "comfortable searching" and "RAM", since I simple do NOT have those 6 MB "available". On the other hand, Pocket Informant is providing a pretty good search... it's not as good as in Adress Book, but it's absolutely acceptable for me.

I would be using Adress Book IMMEDIATELY, once its footprint would be a bit smaller (and actually, since I got aware of Adress Book, I've seen many other posts from other people complaining about the same).

Once again... I really do believe that you created a wonderful product! However, as long as you're not offering the option to store those big files on their SD card, you will significantly cut down your market, since many users will NOT buy Adress Book, as long as it will be as storage consuming as it is right now.

Just my 2 ct.

Rangali
Wasyl
Inesoft Team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, created 1.600 item database and Reingexed database. I got:
pim_index1.dat - 600KB
pim_index2.dat - 200KB these files could be a bit larger with more details in contacts. Let's count 2Mb as you claim.

Address Book files - less than 2 Mb and could be installed to a memory card (we have still 2 Mb of main memory in use).

Caller ID (Inesoft CallerID.exe in Windows folder) - 800 Kb, on non Phone Edition devices could be deleted.

Today module (AddressBookToday.dll in windows folder) - 750 Kb, if not in use, may be deleted.

Summary: 2Mb + 0.8Mb + 0.7Mb = 3.5Mb of main memory if selected "install to memory card" option. Where are your 6 megabytes?
tnemec

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: bigger numbers as well Reply with quote

Wasyl wrote:
OK, created 1.600 item database and Reingexed database. I got:
pim_index1.dat - 600KB
pim_index2.dat - 200KB these files could be a bit larger with more details in contacts. Let's count 2Mb as you claim.

Address Book files - less than 2 Mb and could be installed to a memory card (we have still 2 Mb of main memory in use).

Caller ID (Inesoft CallerID.exe in Windows folder) - 800 Kb, on non Phone Edition devices could be deleted.

Today module (AddressBookToday.dll in windows folder) - 750 Kb, if not in use, may be deleted.

Summary: 2Mb + 0.8Mb + 0.7Mb = 3.5Mb of main memory if selected "install to memory card" option. Where are your 6 megabytes?

I have 1300 contacts and my pim_index1 is 1500K big!!!! This hurts really as still memory is a restricted resource on most of the PPCs!!!!

Thomas
Wasyl
Inesoft Team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: bigger numbers as well Reply with quote

tnemec wrote:
I have 1300 contacts and my pim_index1 is 1500K big!!!! This hurts really as still memory is a restricted resource on most of the PPCs!!!!

So, it's still 500 Kb less than used in my calcutations.
tnemec wrote:
This hurts really as still memory is a restricted resource on most of the PPCs!!!!

Sorry, but there are no miracles. If you are going to store a large data amount on your device, you should expect it will take some memory. And I can’t understand your logic. You have 1300 contacts in your database, so it’s rather hard to find something using a simple scroll; you need an effective search system. With Inesoft Address Book you can find a needed item immediately after a few taps. And it costs 1.5 Mb on your system. Is that too much for really fast and effective search system?
Rangali wrote:
On the other hand, Pocket Informant is providing a pretty good search... it's not as good as in Adress Book, but it's absolutely acceptable for me.

Did you try to find something written in Note field with Pocket Informat? Yes, it's impossible.
Rangali

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Wasyl,

don't take it personal! I'm not blaming you!

I just wanted to provide some user feedback, since I've learned, that there's always a correlation between "software quality", and the way developers listen and communicate with their end-users.

Okay, back to your comments...

Quote:

(1) Last night I deactivated all my Today PlugIns and did a Softreset. Afterwards I checked my memory on my WM 2003 unit:

Total memory used: 40,1 MB
Programs: 12,9 MB
Storage: 27,2 MB

Then I installed Adress Book, made a Softreset and checked my memory again:

Total memory used: 48,6 MB
Programs: 19,2 MB
Storage: 29,4 MB

Then I deactivated Adress Book's Today PlugIn, made a Softreset and checked my memory again:

Total storage used: 44,2 MB
Programs: 16,5 MB
Storage: 27,7 MB

I don't know, whether Adress Book's Today PlugIn is allocating some memory, or not. But, according to me, it seems like it does.

For your reference... My index files are having the following sizes:

pim_index1.dat - 2.100 KB
pim_index2.dat - 194 KB

All in all I'm currently having 1.553 contacts on my unit.

(2) I still believe, that those index files are not well placed in a TEMP directory of one's unit, and I also still believe, that they should be placed -- at least optionally -- on a storage card. Period.

(3) In your post to tnemec you wrote

Quote:
Did you try to find something written in Note field with Pocket Informat? Yes, it's impossible.

That's simply nonsense! For sure it's possible to search within PI also in notes of contacts. If you like I'm sending you a screenshot. Or go to http://www.pocketinformant.com/products_info.php?p_id=pi&dir=wm&tab_id=pocketpc and search for "search view". It will tell you: "Search View brings together every bit of PIM information on your device: Appointments, Tasks, Contacts, Notes, Journals. Search with wildcards, on a specific field, with certain dates, and within PIM item notes".

Rangali
Wasyl
Inesoft Team

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rangali wrote:
That's simply nonsense!....within PIM item notes".

Why nonsense? Just try how does it work and you'll make sure it doesn't.

By the way, it’s Inesoft product forum and we do not discuss other software here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.inesoft.com Forum Index -> Inesoft Phone - general discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: